Thursday, March 11, 2010

Toddler puke smells just like grown up puke

Baby vomit and I are old friends. E had reflux and he puked 5-7 times a day. You get used to it. The smell permeates your clothes, your hair, and  oozes our of your PORES, but you still get used to it... So puke doesn't scare me.

However, it seems to really scare Ethan!

We were having a totally lovely day... Ethan took a nice nap, I was dressed and ready to go off to Costco for a $1.50 hot dog to share with my kid (hey, you! Stop judging! it is a really good hotdog!!) We went into the kitchen to grab a sippy of water, and Ethan burped. Loudly. And then vomit erupted from his mouth. He put his hands in his mouth as if to catch it, thereby creating a fountain effect, right onto my sweater. Yup.

Poor little guy. As he was throwing up, he was saying "help, Mommy. No more Mommy, help" which just broke my heart. I cleaned him up, gave him to his daddy, who was thankfully working from home, and went back to clean the floor (my sweater is not so much coming clean,  damn it!)

Yes, it is true. Baby puke, that smell I grew so accustomed to... is no longer my reality. We have real vomit here folks. And chunks of apple. Yum.



We ran to the store to get some apple juice, rolls for the pulled pork for dinner (I have to post that recipe, my Mom friend Pamela gave it to me and so easy and SO good! Not really a recipe as a collection of ingredients.. anyway...) and  couple other things, and Ethan was fine. We even stopped at Panera for soup and although I was wary, we ate it there and he did fine (maybe due to my silent prayers to the patron saint of  puke ... ok, there is NO patron saint of puke, but maybe there ought to be?)  He was great, no complaining, happy chattering, flirting with strangers, etc. We got home, though and suddenly my happy shopper was a miserable little one. We went upstairs to "daddy room" which is also known as T's office, and Ethan was crying and clinging to us, and just generally not happy. So I decided cuddling was in order. We sat down in my chair and reclined back and watched Tarzan.  (yes, I am aware the AAP suggests no TV until 2, but it was disney, surely there is a disney exception to the rule!) and he eventually went to sleep. we both did, in fact.  When He woke up, 2 hours and one agonizing backache for mommy later, he was so hot he was sweating, poor kid. Fever of 101.6, and some motrin.

He never ate dinner  ( for the love of god, stop judging me! i can feel you looking at me!!)  but he did have 2 saltines and a cup of watered down apple juice.  Let's hope tomorrow is better! :)

oh and I forgot... after E was in bed, I decided to eat dinner, that pulled pork I was so looking forward to was ready. I made a sandwich, took a few bites, and basically, with no warning, I totally lost my appetite. Uh oh! is it my turn next?? Oh please, I hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment