Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Importance of Rear Facing!

If you aren't the mom of an infant or a toddler, I am sure you are thinking 'rear facing what?'
But most moms know that it used to be recommended by the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) to keep your child rear facing in his carseat until the age of 1, or until he reaches 20 lbs. But the rules are changing and the recommendation is now as long as possible! I am known in my circle of friends as the car seat nazi. I am really really verbal in my opinion about car seat safety. I hear some crazy reasons WHY moms want to turn their babies around at age 1.
1. He looks uncomfortable.
Hmmm. In Europe, kids commonly rear face at age 4! He or she is not uncomfortable, kids can fold their bodies into pretzels, for goodness sake! So she has to cross her legs, this is SO much more appealing than your child being permanently wheelchair bound, after breaking their spine in a car accident. Rear Facing is best!
2. She is happier seeing out.
Is she has never been facing front, she doesn't know it is an option!  My son likes to look out the side window. He is perfectly fine.
3. He cries in the car.
There is little reason to believe that he will stop crying facing front! Perhaps he just doesn't like the car?
and so on and more!

an e-friend wrote a great blog post about it!
Find it here

No comments:

Post a Comment