Monday, April 12, 2010

Consignment sales

I think basically, I am cheap. I don't like it when my money leaves me. Especially when we are trying to make ends meet with just my husband's salary while I am staying home with Ethan.  I used to turn my nose up at thrift and consignment stores, but once a week, E and I will get to all the area thrift stores (we go to 8 on a regular basis!)

When E was just a few weeks old, I discovered consignment sales, or mom2mom sales! OMG! It was like heaven for a cheapskate! entire church gyms filled with gently used baby stuff, cribs, clothes, toys, and more! I am now the queen of the consignment sale and almost NEVER buy Ethan anything retail! My mom and Mother in law are getting in to it to!

I also started consigning at this sale last year and I made a fair amount of money (over $200) which basically paid for Ethan's wardrobe that season!

The system is good, you price and tag your own items, and then they go into this HUGE room by catagories, or sizes. Sounds simple, right? Well, the process takes forever! You make you tags, complete with scannable barcodes, on the website. You hang all your items, enter this info, print the tags, fasten the tags, etc. Eventually you have to transport everything to the sale (TUESDAY!) I have been hanging and pricing since about 10pm. It is now 5 am. I am tired!

I think my items are priced well... hard to tell, but we (my mom, my mother in law, my sister, ethan and I)went to a Just Between Friends event yesterday and I think I priced as well as, if not better than others I saw. I still have 2 big bins of clothes to price, then I will go through E's shoes, toys and books. I sold a lot of the big baby stuff last time. I am considering next time selling Ethan's highchair and moving him permanently to the table with a booster, but not this time.

I am volunteering at this sale, for quite a few things, so I will get to shop well before the general public! (whoo hoo!) I am working Tuesday when the consigners drop off. I will be inspecting items being consigned, to be sure they are in good condition, and then on Friday evening, I will be dropping off dinner for other volunteers. I will also be shopping, of course!

But for now, I need to go to bed, I might get 3 hours of sleep before Ethan wakes up!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the CS world!! LOL Addicting hu?
    Let us know how you do this time around. I love to hear about people's success!

    ~Steph
    ConsignmentSaleQueen.com

    ReplyDelete